Monday, May 5, 2014

Thing #19: Beyond Facebook

     Teachers must be very careful when using Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites. When I use Facebook, I try to be very careful of what I post or what pictures I use because not only does it reflect me, but also my children.  Those pictures will get out on the internet, not matter how careful you are, and before posting you need to ask yourself "Do I want everyone to see them?".  The same goes for your posts, people will find a way to get the "not so great" posts and spread them around.   Now, I do not think you need to hide who you are and what you do, but you need to think about what you are posting. Ask yourself "Is this something I want my kids to see one day?", "Would I want my Mother or Grandmother to see or read this?".   
     If you can be honest with yourself and use common sense, social media is a great thing.  I think it is a great way to reach your students, parents, fellow teachers, and resource.   I found some great tools, as I have mentioned in earlier blogs, during this experience.  Heck, I opened a Twitter account (I never thought I would say that…lol) and expect it to be a great tool  professionally.   Social media can be a great experience, you just have to be smart and think before you post or tweet.  
      During this assignment, I was asked what other online communities I was involved with besides Facebook and Twitter.   Facebook is the biggest, I just signed up for Twitter and  I use and like Pinterest a lot!  Also, for this assignment,  I looked into a few other sites.  I liked Classroom 2.0.com the best.   I like that there are several different ways to be involved, communicate and get information.  I also liked that there are members from all around the U.S. and World.    As far as the other sites they suggested we explore,  I already use Yelp, Goodreads, and several recipe and cooking sites.    
      I expect to integrate technology into my classroom and teaching.  I hope to use it in a fun and innovated way to not only teach the students but to allow them to explore and possibly to teach me.

No comments:

Post a Comment