Sunday, April 27, 2014

Thing # 16

     For the first part of this assignment, I had to create a customized start page.  I used Symbaloo.com to create my start page.  I really liked the format of the page and how easy it was to navigate. It was very easy to create.  It gave me a few options for ad-ons and I like the EDUtools option, which had edublogs, school tube, flickr and teacher tube (to just name a few).  This was great to have all these tools in one location.   I then began to explore a little more.  I searched for several different items and was disappointed not to find a few.  I did like the option to create your own tile.  I think that is a great option.
      The next part of the assignment was to create an online calendar.  I currently use the calendar on my iPhone and google calendar, but am always looking for a better way to organize my extensive calendar. I originally wanted to try UpTo.com.  It is an App for iTunes, etc.  I decided not to try it after I read several reviews that said it kept crashing.  I did not want to put a lot of work into a calendar for it to continually crash and have to start over.  So, I decided to try 30 Boxes.  It was easy to setup, but it is very similar to the calendars I currently use.  I will explore it  more, but do not think I will use it long term.  I was really hoping to find a calendar that would allow me to easily store my various calendars separately, but also have one view of events.  I did not find this calendar to do what I needed. I will most likely continue to use the two calendars I have already.
     The last step was to pick an additional tool that might be useful in my classroom.  I think that using a PDF converter could be a useful tool for my classroom.  I have needed to use one personally and professionally several times and I believe I will have the same need as a teacher.  This converter is free for basic use, but you can also sign up for a membership (starting at $9 per month) for added benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment