Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Thing #15: Wiki

     I have learned more about Wiki this class than I ever wanted to know.  I did not like Wikipedia before and still am not a great fan.   I do not like that anyone can change, add or delete information from a subject, item or post.  Knowledge does not matter when you are posting on this website.  I can  edit the information whether I actually have the knowledge base to make the changes or not.  My nephew used to use this site to research information for papers until I informed him of the truth about the information that can be gathered from the site.  Please don't understand, I am not saying that all the information is bad, wrong, false or misleading.  I am saying that there is no basis on whether or not the information is actually true and can mislead students trying to research topics.
     I understand that a positive point is that it is a great example of the sharing tools on the Internet.  Probably the most know and, per the website, the largest.   I do have to say that I did like that you can set up a wikispaces to share things for your school, class or organization.  Sharing lesson plans, book lists, etc. on wikispaces is a great tool to get information out to fellow teachers.     I did find some interesting pages through wikispaces that had some good information.

     Truthfully, I do not know if I will use wikispaces in my classroom.  I need to research it further.

No comments:

Post a Comment